We were in Adelaide this time last year. It was a food centred trip, as most of our holidays are, and we trekked across the city to find some quirky and unusual haunts. Parwana Afghan Kitchen was lauded as authentic and delicious, two words we couldn’t really look past. Despite missing the turn and having to run through torrential rain with two kids, we all decided it was worth it. This dish, recommended as a must try, was the standout. Fried eggplants in a delicately spicy tomato sauce, with a garlicky yoghurt sauce. So simple, but so amazing. We practically licked the bowl clean on this one and I’ve made it a few times at home.
If you’re in Sydney Bamiyan does their own version, with capsicum, an idea I’ve taken for my own version.
- 6 small eggplants or 3 large eggplants
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 3 banana chillis or 2 capsicums chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder, optional
- ¼ cup water
- oil, to fry the eggplants about 1/2 a cup. I used the deep fryer and that’s a viable option too.
- salt, to taste
- 1 cup yogurt, greek or plain
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- salt to taste
Cut the eggplants into 2 x 5 cm fingers. Like fat chips
Heat oil in a pan on medium flame. Once hot, add the eggplants slices and fry till they are golden brown in colour. Do this in batches to avoid overcrowding.
Place the eggplants slices on a kitchen towel to drain excess oil. Set aside. I like to leave this overnight, just to drain as much as possible.
- Fry the capsicum in the same way and leave to drain.
In another pan, heat 2-3 teaspoon of oil and add chopped garlic to it. Cook until garlic is golden brown in colour.
Add the tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt and cook till tomatoes become soft and mushy. This will take 6-7 minutes.
Next add the eggplants and capsicum, 1/4 cup of water and cover and cook on low for around 10 minutes. Turn off the heat.
To make the yoghurt sauce, mix the garlic and yoghurt together and then set aside
- To serve, add the eggplant and tomato to a dish. Then spoon the yoghurt on top and garnish with some coriander.